Gooey, Fudgey & Utterly Delicious Sweet Potato Chocolate Brownies
I have been dying to make some healthier brownies with no added refined sugar and have heard about people making them with sweet potato. Adding sweet potato as an ingredient to brownies makes a lot of sense to me as they have a natural sweetness to them, hence the name.
I have tried and tested this recipe now a few times and made small adjustments here and there to find you the perfect recipe and I’ve finally nailed it! Can I get a whoop whoop?!
As with all of my recipes, these are super simple to make with ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen cupboard (you definitely will if you’ve made any of my healthier treats recipes before).
I promise you, hand on heart, you can’t taste the sweet potato at all. I have trialed the recipe on my guinea pigs (family members – not actual guinea pigs), who were slightly put off when I said that they had sweet potato in them and they were absolutely flabbergasted (wonderful word ‘flabbergasted’… simply not used enough these days in my opinion), that you really can’t taste them!
In fact, these sweet potato brownies have been requested for Christmas by my Mum-in-law and are the only brownies my Mum will eat as she’s diabetic.
I have tried making this recipe both gluten free (for my sister) and non gluten free and both turn out exactly the same so you can decide which flour is best for you.
If you are dairy-free, just swap the dark chocolate chunks (there’s no other dairy in this recipe) on the top for dairy free chocolate chunks or leave them off completely. It will still be delicious!
This recipe takes approx. 15 minutes to prepare and 30 minutes to bake and you can make them with a food mixer or by hand if you don’t have one.
Makes 8 delicious brownies
- 3 medium peeled sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 6 tbsp honey
- 5 tbsp. sugar free caramel syrup
- 4 tbsp. sweet freedom choc shot
- 1 tbsp. vanilla essence
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
- 6 tbsp. cacao powder
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp. white gluten free flour or plain white flour
- 1/2 pack dark chocolate chunks (to sprinkle on top – optional of course)
- 2-3 sprays of oil or 1/2 tsp. butter (to grease a dish)
- Additional drizzle of choc shot for presentation and yumminess
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees / gas mark 4
- Prepare a baking dish with parchment paper and grease with either the oil or butter
- Pop the sweet potatoes into a microwaveable dish and in the microwave for 8-10 minutes or until they come out soft
- Once they are soft, cut them up and pop them into a food mixer or mash them by hand in a large mixing bowl ensuring that you get rid of any lumps
- Add the ingredients in the order above, mixing well each time you add something new
- Spoon the mixture into your prepared baking dish
- Sprinkle the dark chocolate chips on top
- Pop in the oven for 30 minutes or until a toothpick/knife comes out clean
- Take out of the oven and leave to cool for at least 15 minutes or longer until the brownies have hardened slightly
- Chop into whatever sizes you like
- Serve with a drizzle of choc shot (the orange one is really nice with these brownies as well as the original chocolate one)
With love, Tash ❤ x
❤ Follow me on Social Media ❤