There’s nothing better than a hearty bowl of nutritious homemade soup to warm the cockles ❤
It’s nearly the end of Summer here in the UK and it’s been quite cold recently. I love the turn of the seasons and get quite excited about swapping shorts and vest tops for big chunky cardigans, hot chocolates and cosy nights in but we’ve had a really good Summer this year (for a change) and the cold weather kinda crept up on us!
On one particularly cold day, I decided to make us a batch of pea and ham soup because there’s nothing more warming than a lovely steaming bowl of homemade soup – am I right?? Luckily, I had some gammon left over from roasting a joint a couple of days ago so it was perfect timing.
I’m trying to cut down on the amount of meat I eat so I added the ham and croutons onto hubby’s soup after making it (instead of putting it in the soup) and ate mine without the meat so you have that option too.
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small diced red onion
- 1 tsp. chopped garlic (or 1 chopped clove)
- 1.5 cups of frozen peas
- 1.5 cups vegetable stock (1 x stock cube plus the 1.5 cups water)
- 2-3 handfuls of fresh spinach or 4 cubes of frozen spinach
- 1 tsp. white pepper
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- Salt & pepper to taste (don’t forget that if you are adding ham, it is usually really salty so don’t add too much salt)
- Diced ham / gammon
- Croutons (we love these bruschettas)
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on a gentle heat
- Add the diced red onion and cook until softened
- Add the garlic and mix well
- Pop in the peas and stir through until they are defrosted
- Add the vegetable stock, spinach, white pepper and turmeric
- Stir and season with salt and pepper
- Let simmer for 20-30 minutes or so (adding more water if needed)
- Pop in a blender or blend with a soup maker and blend until smooth
- Saute the ham and croutons lightly to warm them up (optional) and then sprinkle them on top of the soup
With love, Tash ❤ x
This sounds delicious! I can’t wait for the weather to cool down so I can try this
LikeLiked by 1 person
It’s so yummy! And weirdly it’s quite nice cold too… if you like cold soup… haha 🙂
This sounds different but yummy! Plus I don’t have a huge amount of dairy in my diet so I doubt I would notice the difference being dairy free! Perfect dish for the autumn months! 😍xxxx
LikeLiked by 1 person
Comments are closed.